The senate has asked Hameed Ali, comptroller general of the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) to reappear before it on Wednesday, March 22, in his customs uniform.
The Senators in a voice vote mandated the Comptroller General of Customs to come in uniform on Wednesday 22nd March, 2017.
Here are what seven Senators told Hameed Ali At the Senate today:
1. Sen. George sekibo said the CG @CustomsNG must re-appear before the Senate in his uniform.
2. Sen. @BI_Gemade seconded and said it is respectable and important for the CG @CustomsNG to wear his uniform.
3. Sen. Magnus Abe pleaded with the CG @CustomsNG to wear his uniform to preserve the image of the Customs and perception of other institutions.
4. "CG needs to go and apply the law of the land by wearing uniform before he addresses us, as stipulated in our constitution"- Sen B. Jibrin
5. The circular issued by the CG @CustomsNG stating to the Senate that he won't wear his uniform is derogoratory. - Sen. Ibn Na'Allah.
Sen. Na'Allah cited Sections 7,8 &10 of the Customs Act which states that the Customs shares same privileges with police and other institutions.
6. Sen Yayi said anyone can wear the Customs uniform and appear as the CG @CustomsNG
He said the rules of the Nigerian Senate still stands on the issue of the uniform.
7. Senator Jibrin Barau said, it was clear in the command and control of Customs Service that uniform is sacrosanct, suggesting that he should be asked to go and get his uniform before addressing the Senate next time.