Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hotel Staff Sacked over Cynthia’s Murder

Management of Casmillia hotel, where Cynthia Osokogu, only daughter of a retired Army General, Frank Osokogu, was murdered last month, has laid off some of its staff as a result of the incident.

However, the exact number of those affected by the hotel management’s sledge hammer could not be ascertained, Wednesday.

Reliable sources said those affected included staff that were on duty from the day the first suspect checked in to the day Cynthia was murdered.

It was gathered that when the incident occurred, the hotel management carried out an in-house investigation where it was discovered that some of the staff did not carry out their duties as expected. For instance, it was discovered that one of the suspects, Okwumo Echezona, checked into one of the rooms with a fictitious name.

It was also learnt that the staff were blamed for being negligent in their duties, as none of them was able to figure out the killer’s suspicious moves when they were leaving the hotel, until the suspects called to inform the hotel.

The most negligent act on the part of the affected staffers, as informed by a staff of the hotel who spoke on condition of anonymity, was that the guests never showed any identity card bearing the name he checked in with.

The source said: “The standing rule is that any guest checking in must present his identity card at the reception that must bear the name he or she wants to check in with. We have been instructed never to lodge anybody in without meeting this procedure.”

It was, however, not clear what Echezona told the receptionist before he was checked in. However, an unconfirmed report said Echezona presented no identity card that bore the name he gave to the receptionist.

In the absence of an identity card, the staff informed that guests were expected to either drop their complementary cards or passport photograph, as this would help in tracing them if the need arises.

Meanwhile, the suspects, Okwumo Echezona Nwabufo, 33; and his cousin, Ezike Ikechukwu Olisemeka, 23; the pharmacist that reportedly sold the tranquiliser used by Echezona, Orji Osita, and one Maduako Chukwunonso, are currently cooling their heels at the Ikoyi prison, while the remains of Cynthia will be interred on September 5.

Culled: Vanguard

No comments:

Post a Comment